The Toledo Law Association was incorporated on November 17, 1870 as a subscription library totally supported by members. By 1888, the state legislature had passed a bill creating county law libraries. For over a century, the Toledo Law Association served as the county law library for Lucas County. In 2009, the legislature passed another bill making county law libraries government agencies and the Toledo Law Association Library became (on January 1, 2010) the Lucas County Law Library.
The Toledo Law Association maintains a role in the management of the Lucas County Law Library and continues to provide financial support for the library's operations, but the library is governed by an independent board appointed by the Lucas County Commissioners, the judges, and the prosecuting attorney.